HOME           ABOUT ME           PHOTOGRAPHY           BENTO           RECIPES        PR/PITCHES        DISCLOSURE         WEEKLY LINKS
***NOTICE: Please bare with me while I reload ALL the images that was deleted in a Blogger/Google+ fiasco. All images from the past 3 years have been deleted and it will take me awhile to reload everything and get my blog back to it's original state. Thank you for your patience! ***

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fresh & Savory Zucchini Quiche {recipe}


I have been baking up a storm since I got all that wonderful zucchini from my neighbors. I made 2 loaves of bread with walnuts and 2 more loaves still with walnuts but also added mini chocolate chips. Perfect for my freezer stash.

Then I thought, what next? Quiche! I love it, you may remember my favorite recipe I posted way back in 2008.... "Broccoli Bacon Quiche". So I went on the hunt for an amazing recipe. I found one on All Recipes and thought I would give it a try for breakfast.

Super easy, love that it included Ricotta which I never have used in quiche before, and really liked the spices. Here is the recipe (with my changes), or you can click HERE and go straight to the original recipe plus reviews.


INGREDIENTS:

1 Frozen Deep Dish Pie Crust
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 lb Thinly Sliced  and  Grated Zucchini (half and half)
1 1/2 cup Mozzerella Shredded Cheese
1 cup Ricotta
1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
3 Eggs, Beaten
Pinch Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Dried Basil
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
Sweet Paprika

DIRECTIONS:

Pre heat oven to 425. Prick the bottom of the pie crust and bake for about 7 minutes. Remove from oven and turn temp down to 350.

The original recipe calls for all sliced zucchini, but I was using what I had in my refrigerator, and I already had some grated from making the bread. So I took the grated and thought I would use that for the pie and slice some fresh to use for the top decoration. Perfect.


In a skillet melt the butter and saute the grated and sliced zucchini until tender, drain. Place the grated zucchini in the bottom of the pie shell and top with the shredded mozzarella. 

In a bowl whisk the egg and add the ricotta, cream, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and garlic. Once combined pour into the crust. Then arrange sliced zucchini around the top and middle. Sprinkle the sweet paprika over the top and pop in the oven. I baked mine for 60 minutes. I find that recipes from others always call for a bake time of only 40-45 minutes, but I have found for me it never works out. So now I just automatically bake for an even hour.




And voila...delicious. So savory, fresh and cheesy, all the perfect combinations. This has easily become my new favorite quiche, it has amazing layers. You can see the sauteed grated zucchini on the bottom, then the cheesy, savory layer and more tasty zucchini on top...perfection!

6 comments:

House Of Aqua said...

That looks delicious! I have some zucchini I need to bake with tomorrow.

Mom of 12 said...

That looks delicious to me, but how do you get your kids to eat it? Mine turn up their noses at anything that looks that green.
Sandy

Pesky Cat Designs said...

I've bookmarked this recipe and plan to make it soon!
it looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

ooh - this sounds amazing! visiting from comment love day.

Veronica Lee said...

I've never tried zucchinies! I've seen them in the supermarket but never really knew how to cook them! I just might try this!

Happy Sunday, Steph!

Jessica said...

Wow, that looks delicious!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...